pan-users

Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: walt
Subject: Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:16:41 -0700

Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:21:38 -0700
> walt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Graham wrote:
>>> I'm running Mepis and therefore I usually get my updates through
>>> apt-get.
>> Heh.  The reason I switched to gentoo is that the debian packaging
>> system simply defeats me.  Recently I tried installing ubuntoo
>> (also based on the debian/apt-get system) and I still can't figure
>> out how to install what I need  :o(
>
> Well, that's interesting because no matter how I try, I can't get my
> head around Gentoo :o)

There's room for all, thankfully!  The basic difference between gentoo
and most other linux distributions is that *everything* in gentoo is
compiled from source code right from the install -- and as a result of
this focus on compiling things from source code (rather than installing
already-compiled binaries) gentoo users don't need to worry about
whether they have all of the development tools installed.  The devel
tools are installed by default.

[...]

> The output I get from your suggestion is:
> address@hidden pkg-config --modversion gmime 2.1.14

Oops -- the 2.1.14 was the *output* of the command,
not part of the input.  For future reference:
$ pkg-config --modversion gmime  [this is what you type]
2.1.14    [this is what you should get as a response]

I'm assuming that Darren's advice will fix your problem,
but I would suggest repeating the commands above just to
see what happens.