pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header li

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header lines by Date only
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:34:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:40:27 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:28:31 +0000, SciFi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I click on the Subject bar atop the header pane, it only ends up
>> re-sorting by Date.  In fact clicking on _any_ of the header bars like
>> that, will only re-sort by Date (increasing or decreasing, each time
>> the opposite direction).
>>
>> Funny thing is, tho, that the particular clicked-on column is coloured
>> vertically, as if it /is/ being sorted.
>>
>> I'm running pan2 from the svn repo.  I'm also tracking most if not all
>> the gnome components from their respective svn repos, too, so I'm on
>> the bleeding edge of all this stuff, in case it makes any difference.
>
> I would say yes, definitely, it makes a difference.  Charles has made it
> clear in the past that a good many bugs have been due to bugs or changes
> in gtk.  Are you tracking gtk from svn also?  And glib?
>
>> Also, I'm now running MacOSX on a 24-inch iMac with Intel Core2 Duo (my
>> ppc machines are unreachable ATM).
>
> Ah, that's why you can't afford to buy software ;o)

Actually for the money (it was on sale right before the model bump) it's
a bargain -- and a marvel of engineering: everything's inside the
flat panel unit, then I add on a 750GB firewire h.d. and bunch of other
things externally, keeping all the wires behind the desk.  ;)

>> And I'm seeing a few more problems but those are minor (can't see
>> complete jpg attachments etc. once again if > 1 part)....
>
> Seems that bug has been fixed more than once in the past.

Yes IIRC the last time was a bug in gmime -- and I'm tracking gmime
from the gnome svn this time 'round just because of it.  ;)

> Well, without evidence I can't suggest anything more than some trivial
> experiments to try.  Are things changed in any way by:

I could always provide screenshots, oh but wait pan2 can't do file
attachments (yet properly) can it...  ~sigh~

> Using 'z' to zoom from tabbed to non-tabbed mode?

check -- no help, all sorting is based on Date column

> Switching between threaded/non-threaded display?

check -- same results

> Renaming your ~/.pan2 directory so pan starts over from scratch?

check -- this doesn't help either, this started on day one
anyway, and I did reload headers from scratch several times (a
few weeks ago) before ever deciding to approach the list with
this problem   ;)

> Starting pan from a command prompt to look for error messages?

check -- no error msgs on xterm nor in Apple's various console &
syslog logs when trying to re-sort using other columns (e.g.
where X11 server msgs would go etc.)

other error msgs are related to other bugs such as the incomplete
jpg views -- yes we're seeing Glib-Object problems as expected
in these cases and can trace those down separately

> Oh, and are the non-Date columns sorted correctly in the first place,
> even though you can't actually change the sorting on those columns?

No matter what column is clicked, the lines follow the
Date-sorted order, if I'm saying that clearly.  IOW at no time
are the subject and other fields "wrong" as you follow each line
from left to right -- each message/post/line is correct.

And it's not relegated to the Subject field:
Click on "Author" tab once -- Author is not sorted but it is
hilited all underneath.  Do nothing else, but now look at Date
column -- by golly it _is_ sorted but other-way from before
(increasing or decreasing date value).

I know this is hard to believe without screenshots, but I'll
need to use another app to post such things properly.

> BTW, I'm running gtk+-2.10.13 and glib-2.12.12 and the sorting works
> normally on my pan built from svn.

Here the pan2 configure script is detecting:
[...]
checking for intltool >= 0.23... 0.36.0 found
checking for perl... /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.8/bin/perl
checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
[...]
checking for PCRE... yes
[...]
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.4.0... yes (version 2.14.1)
checking for GMIME... yes
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... yes (version 2.11.7)
checking for GTKSPELL... yes
[...]

I haven't svn'up'd for a few days...

...just get a nasty feeling they're changing the APIs y'know...

...anway, thanks for any help...