pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header li

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header lines by Date only
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:08:41 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 14 Aug 2007
00:55:40 +0000:

> I know almost nothing about OSX except that it is branch of BSD, so I
> jump to wrong conclusions -- e.g. it must include X and gtk, etc.  So
> Apple built their own proprietary gui/widget tools, then?  I can
> certainly understand if they didn't want to get stuck with X.  The irony
> is they did (finally) choose to get stuck with Intel's architecture for
> the same reason *nix seems to be stuck with X:  800 pounds is a lot of
> gorilla ;o)

Well, I'm no OSX expert either, but from what I've picked up, it's
something like this:  The "core" OSK doesn't use X or GTK or Qt or any of
that sort of thing.  They have their own "native" toolset -- or actually
I believe at least two of them, the modern OSX one and an older "legacy"
one.

However, as you said, OSX is built on a *ix BSD base, so porting to it
is /relatively/ easy (at least compared to MSWormOS or the like), and
many people, particularly *ix geeks, run pretty close to a full
complement of traditional *ix apps, including X and GTK and/or Qt, often
with GNOME and/or KDE as well.

As you can well imagine, that's complicated enough, way more so than the
traditional *ix multitude of choices with KDE/GNOME/XFCE/FLTK/generic-X/
whatever, as you've now thrown in at least the two Apple toolkit/
interfaces as well.  However, even that's not the full story.  It's way
more complicated than that, as there are at least three different porting
bases one can choose, mac-ports, another one I'd recognize but can't
remember the name of ATM, and directly rolling your own from upstream.
Sometimes people try to combine two or more of these, which is when it
gets REALLY confusing.

So, "native"... well, it's sort of right, depending on how strict you
want to be with your definition of "native".  To my knowledge, none of
thse are strict OSX native, no, but if one is running one or the other
(or both) of the semi-official ports collections, they could be called
"native" by some definitions of the term, particularly when emphasizing
the difference between them and home-rolled versions direct from upstream.

... And people on Linux or one of the "freedom based" BSDs think they
have it bad when they run GNOME and want a KDE app, or the reverse... =8^P