pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:53:56 +0000 (UTC)

"Keith Richie" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Fri, 04 Apr 2008 09:51:18 -0400:

> against Gnome 2.22 fixing g_assert problems<br><br><a
> href="http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2008-April/
msg00000.html">http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2008-April/
msg00000.html</a><br>

Please don't get the wrong idea here, but...

First, could you please kill the HTML in your posts?  I know you're using
gmail but that doesn't mean everybody does.  There's a reason pan doesn't
do HTML.  Please respect that on the pan lists at least, even if you
can't be bothered to respect no-HTML readers elsewhere.

Second, for a moment there I thought it was all an Inkscape patch! =8^( I
was just quick-scanning and suddenly saw inkscape and not pan. )  If
you'd have mentioned "(and inkscape)" or something similar, it would have
prevented a bit of confusion on my part. =8^)

Now on topic...

I'm tracking this bug in four different places, here, the gnome/pan
bugzilla, the Gentoo bugzilla, and now in the upline-referenced mail
exchange as I test Dan's patches, and I'm losing track of what's been
mentioned where so this may be covering old ground, but yes, that (basic)
patch is floating around.

The problem with it is that it's glib 2.16 specific, since the newly
named file exists in 2.16 but not earlier versions.  Just replacing the
same references with glib.h is a bit more "proper", and cures the problem
for 2.14 and 2.16, but it's not backward compatible beyond 2.14, breaking
2.12 and earlier, and ideally we want to keep that compatibility if
possible.  Tracing the remaining problems with the still broken broad
compatibility version is what's taking the time.

That said, thanks.  One more discussion of the glib breakage to add to
the list.