pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:50:46 +0200

On Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 07:07:36 -0400, Keith Richie wrote:
> I can see how fixing the code to compile on maintained distros should
> be the way to do it.

In fact personally I don't care about "maintained distros" at all, since
they are all Linux, and I don't run Linux. In my opinion, all projects
should just be completely independent of "distros" since this only
creates Balkanisation and that is A Bad Thing(tm).

Of course the incompatibility introduced by glib is unforgivable. For me
that would be reason to get rid of the whole stupid library, if at all
possible. I've seen the suggestion here that it is only used for
g_assert() in the first place. If that is true, why not replace it with
calls to the standard C library assert() and be done with it.

If this is not an option, the idea of a compatibility header seems the
best to me. It would include whatever glib header is appropriate for the
currently installed version. I suppose it will need some help from the
configure script to detect which headers are actually present (feature
checks are always better than version checks).

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.