pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:16:57 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 05 Apr 2008
13:50:46 +0200:

> Of course the incompatibility introduced by glib is unforgivable. For me
> that would be reason to get rid of the whole stupid library, if at all
> possible. I've seen the suggestion here that it is only used for
> g_assert() in the first place. If that is true, why not replace it with
> calls to the standard C library assert() and be done with it.

The original header file include was for g_assert only, apparently, but
pan does include other glib header files and uses their associated
functionality.  Or at least, there's several other header files dealt
with in the proposed glib-compat.h file, so it would appear pan uses
other glib functionality.  Thus, getting rid of that dependency isn't a
simple matter after all... unfortunately, for the incompatibility reasons
you mentioned.

> If this is not an option, the idea of a compatibility header seems the
> best to me. It would include whatever glib header is appropriate for the
> currently installed version. I suppose it will need some help from the
> configure script to detect which headers are actually present (feature
> checks are always better than version checks).

That's what we're trying to debug. =8^)