pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Daniel Rahn
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:20:51 +0200

On Saturday 05 April 2008 03:24:26 Keith Richie wrote:
> That's something I don't understand. Why there would be a want to
> retain backwards compatibility with an older version of glib that is
> from July 2007 (2.12.13) Granted Debian Stable uses this version, but
> there is also a .deb for pan 0.132. I don't see the correlation
> between an individual using a "Stable" distro with an older tool
> chain, and wondering why new svn releases aren't compatible?

If the new svn release contains new features and is a candidat for a new
major release, well, break backwards compatibility and require newer
libs. That's not a problem and how the world mostly ticks.

But right now svn only contains bugfixes. And that's the reason I
personally want to make them compile on the older distributions too.

Not everybody recompiles half of the distribution day after day. There
are people that just _use_ the machine and require a bugfix once in a
while. So if the distribution is still maintained, I don't see why a
bugfix in svn should break compatibility.

And after all, glib changed the API, not PAN. One project ignoring
unwritten rules (never change the API without changing the major
release) should not make other projects follow the same path.

Just my 2 cents.

-Daniel