pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 22:29:43 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 05 Apr 2008
17:24:26 +0200:

> I use pkgsrc, which is as the name implies, packages in source
> form [...] "cross-platform" [...] a bunch of makefiles [...]

Interesting.  I'd seen the name pkgsrc, but never knew what it was.
I've at least a bit of an idea, now.  =8^)

> The difficulties come of course when something needs to be upgraded.
> There are several strategies for that, traditionally the "remove
> everything, then recompile" which isn't very satisfying on a production
> system. The solution that I use is called "pkg_comp". This basically
> creates a chrooted sandbox in which copies of the OS and packages are
> installed. In it, one can use the "remove, then recompile" strategy
> without harm. From each package one then creates a "binary package".
> After everything has recompiled, I can quickly update my real system
> from the generated binary packages.

Gentoo's approach is similar, except that instead of make files, it uses
bash scripts (could be sh compatible but not all ebuilds are, so Gentoo
requires bash), with the package managers (now three to choose from) and
ebuild scripts combining to automate the sandbox concept.  Due to that
automation and a few other factors (the USE flag concept, etc), Gentoo's
approach may be superior WHERE SUPPORTED, particularly on GNU/Linux altho
there's a Gentoo/FBSD port as well, but pkgsrc/pkg_comp sounds like it
covers more platforms with less porting pain.

So I definitely need to keep pkgsrc in mind re portability, and it does
sound like perhaps a framework built around it could indeed become my
predicted eventual from-source top-three distribution*.  Thanks!

---
* In context, "distribution" is used generically, a "distribution" of *ix
packages and/or build scripts.  Thus, it's BSD and etc inclusive, NOT
just limited to Linux, tho I believe a copylefted solution likely to
continue to dominate.  (OpenSolaris over Linux if the software patent
thing blows up??)