pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies

From: HarryB
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:08:48 -0600

On Thursday 11 December 2008 3:01:34 pm Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:50:40 -0600, HarryB wrote:
> > New Pan (v0.132) user, running under Debian 4.0 and KDE 3.5.10.
> >
> > I have been able to post a new message to the newsgroup
> > rec.bicycles.tech and one or two replies, but additional replies fail
> > because the server rejects them and returns the following error: "441
> > Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)" .
> >
> > I tried the same in 0.test and the results were the same: I could post
> > at least one reply to my initial message, but subsequent replies failed.
> >
> > So, I booted into Windows and fired up Free Agent, my old newsreader. I
> > was able to reply without a problem. So, it appears that the problem is
> > with Pan and not my news server, bellsouth.net.
> >
> > What doesn't my news server like about Pan's replies?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Harry
>
> You'll probably have to ask the provider.  Most NNTP servers can apply a
> script against headers and message contents and reject based on content -
> only the provider can tell you why your post was rejected since they
> maintain the filter.
>
> Jim

Hello Jim,

What makes me think it is a problem with Pan is that after being unable to
post the reply, I booted into Windows, fired up Free Agent and downloaded the
same thread. I then replied to the same message using the same words I had
originally typed into Pan.

In fact, in order to make sure I used the exact same words, I made a copy of
the post and pasted it into my email client in Linux and emailed it to
myself. After booting into Windows I downloaded the email message and pasted
the exact words I had typed in Pan into my reply from Free Agent.

So, in my non-technical mind, there was absolutely no difference that my
provider saw in the body of the message. The only difference that I can see
is that one was sent from Pan while the other from Free Agent. Again, the
bodies of the messages were almost identical, if not, identical.

To see if I could replicate the problem I posted a test message to 0.test and
then replied to it, and then replied to the reply, just like one normally
sees in a Usenet thread. After the third reply I got a warning (from Pan, I
assume, since it was almost instantaneous) which read, "There were problems
with this post. Warning: The message is mostly quoted text." I deleted the
quoted text and attempted to send the reply again. Once again I received
the "441 Posting Failed" message.

So, I again booted into Windows and downloaded the thread I had started in
0.test and tried to reply to it from Free Agent. No problems. In fact, I
replied to a number of the replies without any trouble. Then I booted back
into Linux and started Pan. Once again, I was unable to reply to the same
messages that Free Agent was able to reply to.

To summarize, there are messages to which I can reply from Free Agent which I
can't reply to from Pan. I just don't understand why that would be my ISP's
fault.

Cheers,
Harry