pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies

From: HarryB
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems with some replies
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:13:56 -0600

On Friday 12 December 2008 1:07:13 pm Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:08:48 -0600, HarryB wrote:
> > Hello Jim,
> >
> > What makes me think it is a problem with Pan is that after being unable
> > to post the reply, I booted into Windows, fired up Free Agent and
> > downloaded the same thread. I then replied to the same message using the
> > same words I had originally typed into Pan.
>
> It may be a header that Pan is adding, but again, you have to ask the
> posting provider for the details because only they know what's in their
> post filter.  I've run NNTP servers on more than a few occasions, and I
> can tell you definitively that the "441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST
> filter)" means that it's something being filtered by the provider - and
> *only* the provider can give you more specifics.
>
> We could guess, but it would be nothing but a guess.  Post filters on the
> systems that I've worked on are perl scripts and can filter on anything
> in the headers or the body of the message.  There is no way to know what
> specifically that provider has put in their filter without asking them or
> experimenting.
>
> It may be as simple as they've blocked posts where the NNTP-Posting-Agent
> isn't one of a set list of allowed clients, or where it excludes Pan
> explicitly for some reason.  Or it could be that it doesn't like the
> format of the NNTP-Posting-Date header.  Or under "More Headers" you
> could have a header in there that they want to reject.
>
> I've written post filters myself, and I've excluded based on e-mail
> address, posting agent, IP address range, and words in the body text.  It
> really can be anything.  You have to ask the provider to help you
> diagnose it.
>
> Jim

Hello Jim,

I have not added anything in the "More Headers" box and have no idea what that
does. But, I might try something just so that I will learn something new.

I just sent a reply to Duncan detailing some of the things I tried today. Yes,
maybe I will have to call my ISP to fix this problem. But, at least I will be
able to discuss the problem with a lot more knowledge as a result of the
information and questions I've received from this list. I'm just a computer
user who really doesn't understand what is going on "under the hood", but is
trying to switch over to Linux anyway.

Thanks,
Harry