pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:44:58 +1000

Duncan wrote:
K. Haley posted on Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:45:54 -0600 as excerpted:

There's no way around this until I get the new back-end written.

Interesting. Long ago, before pan2/pan-0.90, there had been discussion of using a sqlite based backend.

Oh gods please no... haven't we learned anything from Firefox? (Because the Firefox developers certainly have not...)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite

sqlite does not play well with NFS. The sqlite developers explicitly warn that it has locking and corruption problems over NFS, and that you should not use it over NFS. Many Linux users have their home directory mounted over NFS, and Firefox 3+ stores nearly everything in a sqlite database. The consequences are hardly surprising:

https://blogs.cs.umbc.edu/willm1/2009/02/08/firefox-3-over-nfs-sucks/

(Google on "firefox nfs" or "firefox nfs sqlite" for more.)

I'm so sick of the places.sqlite dance that I've gone back to using Firefox 2. (Well, that and the "awesome bar", which is evil. But that's a rant for another day.)

--
Steven