pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Feature - Uploading binaries
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:54:29 +0000 (UTC)

K. Haley posted on Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:45:54 -0600 as excerpted:

> There's no way around this until I get the new back-end written.

Interesting.  Long ago, before pan2/pan-0.90, there had been discussion
of using a sqlite based backend.  But then the rewrite came, with
something similar to the previous text-based backend except that pan made
more efficient use of memory by combining occurrences of (certain)
strings like author names, and I hadn't seen anything else on a different
backend since then.  Certainly, as Charles was apparently even then
losing interest a bit [1], there wasn't any talk from him.

This is thus interesting for two reasons.  First, it's the first I've
seen of backend discussions in a VERY long time.  Second, I /believe/
it's the first indication I've seen that you intend to develop any major
new features or rewrite anything major on your own, we can call it "head
developer", as opposed to an explicit "patches welcome" policy inviting
others to do so (without doing any major features yourself, not that such
a policy wouldn't continue even if you did), so they can be integrated,
plus minor features and generally keeping pan working against current
packages as the need for such (perhaps major, as likely with gnome-3)
tweaking arises (which could be called "primary community maintainer",
with "head maintainer" being the role Petr Kovar seems to be playing,
now, either way).

Any other hints you care to drop, yet, or was even than an unintentional
premature leak?

---
[1] Charles went silent for well over a year, IIRC it was over two and
regulars were beginning to think pan might already be a dead package
walking, before the announcement introducing pan2, some of that was no
doubt early work on it, but I don't believe it all was.  Then he went
great guns on pan for a bit over a year until pan2 worked reasonably
well, then silent again, save for a single update 1 year later, until he
started publicly posting requests for someone else to take over.