pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Using Pan on Mac

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Using Pan on Mac
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 16:52:53 +0000 (UTC)

TvH.Diversen posted on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:43:29 +0100 as excerpted:

> I am a Mac user and thinking about switching over to Pan as Newsreader.
> I have 2 pratical questions:

Hi,

Our former resident Mac user and expert (SciFi) hasn't been active on
this list for some time now, including no reply to someone else inquiring
about pan on OSX. I don't believe there's anyone else here that knows too
much about it.[1]

> 1.  Does Pan use "Open Transport"? Reason is that OT is no longer
> supported in OSX 10.9.

I had not the foggiest what "Open Transport" might be until I just googled
it on wikipedia, but based purely on that[2], I'd say it's quite
unlikely, unless for some reason gtk relies on that on OSX, and I doubt
that as well.  Pan does TCP/IP of course, as that's what NNTP uses, and
anything else that could possibly be related would be via the gtk GUI
toolkit pan is built upon.  But the wikipedia OT article says it's a pre-
OSX technology and I expect the OSX gtk port would have targeted OSX's
BSD base and X compatibility layers and wouldn't have been interested in
the already deprecated old-Apple compatibility stuff at all, so I'd be
very surprised if gtk uses OT either.

> 2.  Is there a site where I can download a binary of Pan without going
> thru all the motions with Fink?

>From my limited knowledge of OSX, there's three *ix ports projects
available, fink being one of them that SciFi mentioned as including pan.
However, there's also a newer one which I forgot the name of, that the
other pan-on-OSX inquirer mentioned.  I guess pan's also available on
it.  I don't know which one might be more current or work better.  Which
you use would be up to you, but I do know SciFi had pan working from Fink
(tho he built pan itself direct from live-git sources), tho that was
perhaps a year or 18 months ago last he posted that I recall, but I
/suspect/ the newer ports project, whatever it was called, might be more
current and easier to get pan setup and running with, if you're starting
from scratch.

Meanwhile, however you install it, once pan is up and running you'll
probably have other questions about it, and there's some not entirely
obvious "advanced" runtime configuration hints (primarily certain
settings only available with direct text-based-config-file edits) you
might find useful as well.  Those sorts of questions tend to be less
platform specific, and you'll find rather better support here for them as
a result.

And of course if you're interested in becoming a resident pan-on-OSX
expert, there are occasional inquiries such as yours that could certainly
use better answers than they tend to get now, so if you want it, that
role is yours to fill! =:^)

---
[1] As you may well guess from my sig, I only run freedomware platforms
here, specifically Linux altho I have have nothing against the
freedomware BSDs.  OSX might be BSD-based, but it's definitely not
freedomware!  So while I do try to be helpful, any personal interest is
purely in that regard; nothing I'd consider touching on my own systems at
all.

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Transport