pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:56:08 +0100

Hello.

   I heard your excellent project at Linux.com and hope your success
   very.

Thanks.

   Well, maybe you know, we free software community in Japan/China/Korea
   has a problem about handling PDF since a long time ago.

   [...]

   Although some Debian guys had already contacted Adobe legal department,
   they couldn't get a positive answer. Adobe seem want to continue to
   control CMap under themselves and won't change its license anymore.

   So, do you have any good idea to solve this issue?
   I think you'll meet this problem sooner or later.

In fact we found the same problem while distributing GNU ghostscript
(http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript). We are unable to include
the Adobe CMap files in our distribution.

Now, we could try to ask Adobe to relicense the maps (a formal
petition from the FSF). An alternative would be to write free versions
of the maps: a really huge work.