pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:08:04 +0100

   address@hidden wrote:
   > In fact we found the same problem while distributing GNU ghostscript
   > (http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript). We are unable to include
   > the Adobe CMap files in our distribution.
   >
   > Now, we could try to ask Adobe to relicense the maps (a formal

   That sounds great!

Maybe we could do it along with Debian in order to achieve a better
effect.

   > petition from the FSF). An alternative would be to write free versions
   > of the maps: a really huge work.

   Yes, I think so. I considered it but it was very hard to do without
   something reference... the one and only reference is Adobe CMap. Sigh.

I will ask the FSF lawyers. Maybe we could write tables documenting
the mappings (using the existing Adobe maps as a reference) and then
write out our own maps.