pdf-devel

ICC profiles (was: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?)

From: Hubert Figuiere
Subject: ICC profiles (was: Re: [pdf-devel] Any idea about solving CMap problem?)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:29:03 -0500

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 14:15 -0800, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> Hub - I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), but from re-reading
> the later thread - it seems that everything was fine (other than Bob not
> liking, understandably, RPM's).
>
> But I stand by my previous statement...
>
> If someone involved in the creation of appropriate packages for various
> distributions has a concern about the specific language of the CMap
> license - I will be happy to take it up with our legal department.  Just
> give me SPECIFICS.

Let's get started with the ICC profiles.
And given that proper ICC profile support will be required to properly
implement PDF render, it is on topic.

First of all I couldn't find the non-Windows non-Mac download.

Let's go with the Mac download:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/iccprofiles/iccprofiles_mac.html

Distinction between end-user and distributors. Free Software does not
make any distinction.
Since redistribution is part of the Free Software philosophy, I'll
select the option.

Here an excerpt of paragraph 2.

> Notwithstanding the above, if you are bundling with Linux or Unix
> software products, you may (a) add shortcut or menu items within your
> software that point to the Software, but may not change the name or
> iconography of the Software, (b) repackage the RPM or Gzip versions of
> the Software for distribution purposes, and (c) create a graphical
> user interface as otherwise specifically allowed by instructions found
> at www.adobe.com or http://partners.adobe.com (e.g., installation of
> additional plug-in and help files) but may not add, delete, or modify
> any components of the Software without the explicit written permission
> of Adobe.

In short it does not allow repackaging, including making propert package
for Debian or Ubuntu (Ubuntu is currently the #1 desktop distribution)

That's for starter.

Hub