Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GIF/PNG issue...

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GIF/PNG issue...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:59:21 -0800

River Hume wrote:

> Of the given options, my vote is with #2
>
> >2) Convert to PNG, stay a GNU project but also have someone host a copy
> >of al the gifs and a script to drop them into place so that they get
> >used. This would satify the requirement and use a loophole. Not one the
> >FSF would like, but its an option.

Lets discuss this option a bit.
1) The way the code works now is to load up a list of the images and put
them into memory. Then a request is made for my function to find the
image, and I first look for a PNG, then a JPG and finally a GIF file for
that image name. Using this method its easy to switch from GIF to PNG by
simply dropping the PNG files into place.

2) We can easily convert all our images, make sure that all code is
using the image() function and move all the gif's out of the tree.

3) I can then adjust the find image function and make it configurable,
so that with a config change the prefernce of image type can be
switched. Combine this will a collection of the gif files on another
site (like http://www.clearrivertech.com) and it should be easy to drop
the gifs into place, change the pref order to give gif's priority (for
those that want it that way) and we should have a solution.

4) To make it even easier, Clear River Technologies will even host a
copy of the tarball/zip with the gifs included.

If anyone on the dev team has some time to start converting all the
images to png, please check them into cvs (make sure you set the binary
flag). Dont remove the gifs yet... just add the png's.
I am going to checkin the updated function for the image preference
order to be configurable and we can at least test this bugger.

Dan