[Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GIF/PNG issue...

From: River Hume
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GIF/PNG issue...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:16:49 -0800

Of the given options, my vote is with #2, as the consistent, professional look is vital to phpGW becoming widely accepted by the masses, but why are we overlooking the SIMPLE option (albeit a little bit of a pain in the ass) of creating separate images for the different themes, eliminating the need for transparencies entirely?

-River

I would like as much feedback as possible to help figure out what we
should do.

The options I currently see are:

1) Convert to PNG, stay a GNU project and help them fight software
patents with our protest of GIF's

2) Convert to PNG, stay a GNU project but also have someone host a copy
of al the gifs and a script to drop them into place so that they get
used. This would satify the requirement and use a loophole. Not one the
FSF would like, but its an option.

3) Stick with GIF's and leave the GNU project. This means we also have
to leave Savannah.
We could host CVS on phpgroupware.org and setup our own TTS as our bug
tracking tool.

These are the only options I see in this situation. If you have other
suggestions, let us know and please vote.

Seek3r