Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Crash with win32 apache

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Crash with win32 apache
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 06:21:16 +1100

Hello JeanEric,
I occasionally have the same problem with PHP and Apache under NT. The latest
PHP seems error free. PHP 4.0.5
was so bad I reverted to PHP 4.0.4.

In PHP 4.0.6, I had the problem when certain extensions were enabled, even if
the extensions were not used in the script
I was testing. With PHP 4.1.1, I use all those extensions and more but do not
have the exploding Apache problem.

The problem is also caused by code with minor errors like missing semicolons
and incorrectly used variables. PHP
goes off in to a loop trying to find something and blows memory. PHP 4.1.1 does
not explode Apache with syntax errors.

Look for instances where your code adds something to a global variable. With
certain php.ini settings, you can end up
with a variable going in to a global array and that variable itself being a
global array, with the result being a loop. I found
this with several open source applications when they try to register variables
in sessions.

I test all code with PHP warnings on. For some errors, that brings up warnings
before Apache explodes and you can fix
the error. It is an extremely useful approach for all versions of PHP and found
a few of the tricky errors in earlier versions
of PHP 4.

I recommend PHP 4.1.1 with warnings on. My phpgw is an old version with about
60 code errors found by turning
warnings on. I started testing the latest version of phpgw with PHP 4.1.1 and
have not had an Apache explosion.

Peter