RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Crash with win32 apache

From: Peter
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Crash with win32 apache
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:35:32 +1100

Hello JeanEric,
When I had the similar problem in earlier PHPs. There were a couple of faulty
extensions I discovered by turning off all
extensions then adding them back one at a time. Those extensions worked in a
later release. There were a few in 4.0.5
and at that time I needed to use several I had not used before. They were all
working by 4.0.8 and I have not switched on
a new extension since then. Perhaps you use an extension I do not use and the
one you use recently received a major
update.

I also hit one problem when using an old Apache with a brand new PHP release
and a problem using an old MySQL
with a brand new PHP/Apache combination. Now I update all three when I update
PHP. I look for an Apache and
MySQL that would have been available when the PHP developers where testing
their new release.

The MySQL with problems produced the problems only with Berkerley tables. I
switched back to MySQL tables and had
no more problems. Your problem with MySQL might be the release or some option
that is different to my setup.

The major change from NT to Win2k was active directories but there may be some
other difference that creates your
problem. It would be something the PHP Win32 developers are not testing. There
is a mailing list at
http://www.php4win.com/ if you are using their binary for Win2k. They might
have Win2k users reporting similar results.

My NT 4.0 is rock solid so long as I do not install Internet Exploder. I use
Win2k only to run SQL Server 2000 and leave
Apache/PHP/MySQL/PostgreSQL on NT. I thought the Win32 API was the same between
NT and Win2k so software
like PHP should work the same. Perhaps PHP is starting to use some new feature
of the Win32 API in Win2k.

The PHP error logs appear to be buffered so do not always report the last
couple of records when PHP or Apache
crashes. To bypass that problem, I use a function to write my own log file to
disk and close the log file after each
message. That gets every message out and I can insert trace messages wherever I
like. The PHP developers hate it
when I suggest you write your own error logs but I find with most PHP
installations across most operating systems you
just cannot guarantee to get the last error message. It is even harder when a
site is hosted at an ISP and the ISP will not
let you modify their operating system configuration.

When Apache crashes there is even less chance of PHP detecting the error so the
PHP error logs are of little use and a
step by step tract is needed. I do not know what execution trace facilities you
can use with phpgw. I did see some
test/trace code in phpgw but did not follow up how the code is switched on.
Perhaps phpgw developers could point you
to trace facilities.

Peter