Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] rant about themes

From: Miles Lott
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] rant about themes
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:49:08 -0600

Kai Hendry wrote:

> Just wanted to drop a message how I feel that all these themeing and font
> stuff is a waste of time, effort and clogs up the code.

We welcome your authoring of the braille theme.

> idsociety? WTF is that about? I need to edit the .gifs(why are you using
> .gifs, don't they have a dodgy patent to it), however I do not know the
> font I should be using.

The patent is officially dodgy, yet real.  Anyway, if you expect an
image
file to show differently than one at which you are looking, then you
must
edit it.  From what I know, this is true for all image formats.

> On the subject of gifs, do we really really images at all? Can we have an
> option of turning those damned things off. I think nice looking "icons"
> can be made solely with CSS.

I don't think nice looking icons can be made with css.  I reckon it
depends on your definition of nice.  If you mean characters on a
colored background, then I have to wonder did you really mean icons?

> Choosing font in for e.g. the Notes app. What is the point?

Its point is diminished by the fact that it is not consistent with other
apps.  But, I guess someone asked for or wanted it.

> Font tags, center tags, all this icky table attribs are HTML3. Shouldn't
> the focus now be on HTML4 and CSS? Do not cite Netscape4. Only weirdos use
> that damned browser. UPDATE. ;)

No!  I am a weirdo who loves Netscape!  I even have a Netscape sticker
on
my car window!  My first child will be named Mozilla (after the mascot,
not
the browser).

> Most users of groupware are used some boring look and feel. Changing the
> themes colour to red or something just freaks ppl out imo.

Why would they do that if they know it will freak them out?  If they do
know and do it anyway, then I really don't think it is our problem.

> Also pages should be validating to W3C standards. It ensures that people
> write good html. Having this in a footer for all apps would be a good
> start.

> CSS</A>

A good start to annoy the crap out of people, imo.

> I hope I haven't come across as too much of an idiot. I will send patches
> to help with the transistion if you agree with me.

You scream too loudly.  Show us the code.  Be clear and have some
respect
for what IS there.  If what IS there is crap in your opinion, then
please
write something better.  As of today, it does not exist.

--

Miles Lott - phpGroupWare
http://www.phpgroupware.org