Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PGW in multi-location setup

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PGW in multi-location setup
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:13:00 -0500

Hey guys....

Im biting my nails here thinking "let it go lex, youre not hacking there
for the time being, wait until better times" But, i cant resist.

Long Long Long term idea:

a) Define in an XML sublanguage all of the  data structure in phpgroupware
b) Get rid  of the way we generate databases right now, beter use XML
and a script to convert to each database's SQL
c) Define in XML all of the data that gets passed from storage logic to
bussiness logic
d) Write it so SO logic passes an array (as array_to_xml takes it) that
complies with this xml, this way, (C) becomes just whatever output the
SO logic gives. Same concept with data that goes BO -> UI.
e) End result of this would be that  we could make BO objects comply
with an interface that would return, in XML, every part of their data
exchange, of every application. The reason for point (C) to exist is
that the XML format should be actually documented and designed.

f) [Perhaps this shouldve been put first] The goal would be that Local
applications could be made that locally stored everything in XML (this
dialect could be called PhpgwTML or  Phpgroupware Bussiness Transaction
Markup Language) and later on sent that to phpgroupware (through
whatever medium) to be applied as transactions. This could work
syncronously or asyncronously, offline or  online and would give freedom
to app developers to just comply to the language. Imagine a beowolf
cluster of.... nah, imagine an OpenOffice macro that made some business
autmation stuff but that could immediatly transfer results to
phpgroupware, or save them localy, or send them as email to phpgw to ba
automatically picked up by an pipe alias.... the mediums are endless.
I think this is the Lotus Notes approach, and hey, people still buy that
because of its offline/online replication capabilities.

g) Waky, no?