[Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD/18 proposals/issues

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD/18 proposals/issues
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:51:54 +1100

Hi all,

I have noticed the list has been very quiet about getting head out the
door.  There have been things happening behind the scenes.  My primary
development environment is now head so I am fixing things as I find
them.

Here are some of the things I would like to get some agreement on before
going ahead with them:

* Removing upgrade scripts for pre 0.9.14.000, so if someone is running
0.9.12 (released back in July 2001) they will first need to upgrade to
0.9.14 (released November 2002).  This means we can remove some if
statements from the setup scripts.  I think if people haven't upgraded
in over 3 years they never will.

* Removing tables, XHTML1.0, CSS2.  We are offering a groupware suite
not a restaurant, tables are for tabular data not layout.  Let keep the
markup clean and descriptive.  The CSS should control the layout.

* Requiring a "modern browser" for some functionality.  It is already
the case that some parts of phpgw already rely on js being active.  I
think given we are in the 2nd half of the 1st decade of the 3rd
millennium that we can require JS.  All modern browsers allow
enabling/disabling it on a per domain basis.  Yes some people will using
NetFront/Opera [mobile/mini]/miniMo/lynx etc and they will get limited
functionality.  We should offer a simple almost text mode template for
these users, but they may not get 100% of the functionality.  When sync
is working smartphones can access the PIM apps via their native apps.

* Unicode everything should be unicode.  It makes life a lot easier.
PHP5.1 is also completely unicode safe.

* Remove as many E_NOTICE as possible

Comments are welcomed.

I will post more stuff as I think of it :)

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
phpGroupWare
| e address@hidden          | w phpgroupware.org            |