Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HTML / XHTML experience

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HTML / XHTML experience
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:45:46 +1100

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:01 -0500, Alan Langford wrote:
> I have recently gone through the process of converting a fairly large
> e-commerce site from HTML to XHTML (transitional). Here's what I learned:
>
> -- FireFox has a plug-in that embeds the Tidy validator in it. This makes
> the process of finding problems dead easy (and that little green checkmark
> in the status line is much cooler than a red X).

I use the firebug and webdev extensions all the time, they make
validation and debugging a breeze.

<snip />

> On the downside:
> -- My old JS / ECMAScript based drop-down menu code failed to run. Open
> source alternatives were difficult to find (I wound up using "creditware"
> from twinhelix.com until I can get my own code running). Of course in the
> cage of phpgw, that' not a big problem.

I use css based menus these days, heaps easier to manange.  There is
even a htc file to implement :hover for IE < 7 :)

> There's no pressing reason that forces anyone to move to XHTML, but in my
> experience it was well worth the effort and I would recommend it in most
> cases.

I think it encourages you to review your markup and to modernize things.
We have some pretty old templates, time to move forward and xhtml is a
way of doing this.

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
phpGroupWare