Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD/18 proposals/issues

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD/18 proposals/issues
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:43:28 -0600

On 2/20/06, Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Removing upgrade scripts for pre 0.9.14.000, so if someone is running
> 0.9.12 (released back in July 2001) they will first need to upgrade to
> 0.9.14 (released November 2002).  This means we can remove some if
> statements from the setup scripts.  I think if people haven't upgraded
> in over 3 years they never will.

is this going to fix some issues or create them?  a handfull of if's
is not realy a big deal.  a buttload of if's isn't that big a deal
either.  Our setup program does not have a performance problem, except
when trying to transcode really huge amounts of contacts from the
older one and that's all in one if anyway.

> * Removing tables, XHTML1.0, CSS2.  We are offering a groupware suite
> not a restaurant, tables are for tabular data not layout.  Let keep the
> markup clean and descriptive.  The CSS should control the layout.

remove tables, use css no problems there, all good stuff.
I read something, forget exactly where, on how to choose the markup
version for your project.  for XHTML it said something to effect of
"unless you know why you want XHTML, you probably don't want it".
that's said, I don't know why *I* would want XHTML, I don't use XML
tools to develop, i'm not interested in extending the markup language,
I don't see the benifit, and the harm is evident from the hundreds fo
sites claiming XHTML that are not compliant.

> * Requiring a "modern browser" for some functionality.  It is already
> the case that some parts of phpgw already rely on js being active.  I
> think given we are in the 2nd half of the 1st decade of the 3rd
> millennium that we can require JS.  All modern browsers allow
> enabling/disabling it on a per domain basis.  Yes some people will using
> NetFront/Opera [mobile/mini]/miniMo/lynx etc and they will get limited
> functionality.  We should offer a simple almost text mode template for
> these users, but they may not get 100% of the functionality.  When sync
> is working smartphones can access the PIM apps via their native apps.

phpgw currently doesn't work in netfront and even mobile IE with
pretty templates, but does work in whatever Opera they shoehorned into
the Nokia 770, even gmail works on it :).  So, I don't see a
difference here.

> * Unicode everything should be unicode.  It makes life a lot easier.
> PHP5.1 is also completely unicode safe.

but older php's are not.  Since most of our displayable content does
not lie in php files this shouldn't really matter.

> * Remove as many E_NOTICE as possible

on going goal :)