Re: Pingus 0.6 installer for win32

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Pingus 0.6 installer for win32
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:42:07 +0100

> P.S.: @Ginge - Maybe I've found a bug in the installer. If you enable
> "Run Program after installation" the program is being executed in the
> current directory (where the installer is located). I think it should be
> executed in the Directory where the program got installed. Otherwise
> there will be assertion faults because it can't find a data-Directory
> and such.

Good point, the first thing all my programs do is cd to their installation
directory, to stop this kind of thing happening, is it reasonable/sensible
for Pingus to do this? If not then I'll patch it as there is not really any
downside to it. I have also done a bit more work on the code since then,
including moving all the parameters into a header file, to keep the
installer code separate from a specific instance for one program, i.e.
Pingus.

I also added some new command line handling code, so that when run on finish
is selected the program is started with "/INSTALL:RUN" and when its not
selected the program is started with "/INSTALL", as a chance to allow the
program to do any app specific installation. Would this be useful for
Pingu's or should this be turned off?

I also added the /UPDATE parameter to the installer, in which case the
installer installs without prompting into the current directory, this is
useful if you ever decide to include an auto-updater, as it can download the
standard installer and fire it off with /UPDATE.

The code is available in my CVS, or I can post the code to this list for
Pingus CVS, or I can compile up new versions and just post them in binary.
Anyone any preferences?

Ginge