Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released

From: Hans de Goede
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 06:55:45 +0200

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Grumble shouldn't be dead AFAIK just not active on Pingus anymore. If need be he should be reachable.

I kicked gettext out for a reason,
And that reason was if I may ask?

so I see little need to reintroduce
it as one of the patches does, if there is something wrong with
tinygettext (charset for output to console I guess), tinygettext
should be fixed and not replaced by awefull gettext again.

Whats wrong with it is that it cannot handle character encoding conversion in any way (at all) and that it doesn't searches for translations on unix in the usual way / location, breaking packaging tools like rpm, which expect this location and use it this "info" to only install the languages requested by the user.

Also if you would have bothered to take a look you would have seen that the patch is very non intrusive and only uses gettext if HAVE_GETTEXT get defined, if that is not defined then the current behaviour and code paths are kept for 100%.

About the datadir patch, no idea, if it fixes something, somebody can
go and commit it.

Again if you would have bothered to take a look you would have known that it actually fixes something, I'm not in the habit of comitting useless patches.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh, you've done a great job with pingus for which I'm very grateful, but maybe its time to pass pingus leadership over to someone else?

Regards,

Hans