Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Clanlib 0.8 has been released
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:13:58 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> At least that's not true. You can add new textdomains on demand. I'm
> more involved with Wesnoth those days which does this. Each user
> campaign may come x with their own set of .mo files. They only need
> a textdomain declaration which is then added by the game.

Still requires compiling the .po files, something I prefer to avoid,
since it makes testing new translation a hell of a lot harder then
necessary.

>> requirement to compile .po, no way to run directly from source
>> directory and other stuff.

> This is also possible, you just have to add the search path at runtime.
> Wesnoth uses mo files from non-standard locations for its user content.

You still have to follow weird path structures and can't use the .po
files directly from where they lay around. Unless I am mistaken you
can neither feed a .po or .mo file directly into gettext().

> I think the worst mistake in Pingus was to put translations directly
> into the XML files instead of extracting them into their own po
> files.

That certainly makes translation a bit harder and should be changed in
future releases.

> There should be a pingus.pot, tutorial.pot, stoneworld.pot...

Yes, thats the plan.

> If someone wants to write something like this, taking a look at
> Wesnoth and wmlxgettext should help quite a lot. WML is extremely
> similiar to XML so it shouldn't be that hard to adapt it to read in
> the strings from Pingus level files.

Extracing the strings from the XML files is quite easy anyway, just a
few lines for perl/python/ruby whatever, so that shouldn't be a
problem if we try that.

> AFAIK at least gettext should then be able to use different
> encodings as long as they're correctly specified in the
> corresponding po files.

It can use different encodings in the .po, but so can tinygettext. The
issue here is that the terminal might require a different codeset then
the GUI, which is currently limited to Latin-N like encodings.

Blog:     http://grumbel.blogspot.com/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927