[Protux-devel] 0.17.1 development report

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: [Protux-devel] 0.17.1 development report
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:51:47 -0200

Hi guys,

first of all, sorry by the lack of emails. I am really dealing hard with
internet connection, and make the best I can

this is to tell that the 0.17.1 development is going on. I am trying hard to
understand the ALSA subdevicing capability, althought there is NO
documentation about this.

For example, I didnt understand yet if a subdevice (for example, the "1" in
hw:0,1 ) is about the first pcm stream or a piece of a pcm stream. Also,
I could not find a good way to use ALSA API to query about a device
capabilities, max sample rate, max numb of channels, and so on..

Sometimes I get so angry about the lack of good documentation for ALSA that I
really consier about forget it (do not worry, I wont do that :-). I inspect
about using JACK, but JACK is callback driven, and this is a approach that is
very bad in my opinion, since it compromises the smoothness on captured audio
(protux and the main comercial software uses a thread approach, that is far
robust in my opinion).

Anyway, I believe the last problems we will have with ALSA are these we are
getting now. Once I have a way to detect a device capabilities, everything
else will be done inside libmustux. For example, if I find that ALSA cannot
record for separate channels (as I am almost sure it is, after some
research), I know that this is possible to do by software - it is just a
matter of always use the capture buses in stereo mode and manually separate
the streams in real time (this is a low CPU consuming process).

I am about to commit last changes and instruct Reinhard or Martin to release
0.17.1 stuff. So please be patient with me :-)

Thanks and congratulations on doc and autostuff work

ps - Also mustache dependes on these ALSA related changes. so ASA I get it
working, I will commit some improvements on mustache.