Re: [Protux-devel] BusMonitor

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] BusMonitor
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:12:21 +0200

On Thursday 02 October 2003 18:06, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> address@hidden schrieb am 01.10.03 06:38:14:
> > > - I thought the trackPanel was meant to have a busMonitor(VU meter) for
> > > the bus it is capturing/playing for?
> >
> > Not at all. This is a wrong concept on most audio applications IMHO.
> > If all signals must pass thru the same bus, why replicate it on several
> > trackpanels ? One could ask : but what about the level from the track
> > audio itself ? well thats why peak images are for. Remember that
> > saturated peaks are shown in red, so user must have no vu in track panel.
>
> Ok for play back, but I think for capturing it would be good to have the
> peak meter integrated into the track panel to keep the focus?!?

Thats what I was thinking of, but as Luciano said, the peak images (recording
also shows this) indicate the saturation/level of the recording?

> Another
> helpful feature would be to have the ability to directly change the input
> level using a JMB shortcut from inside Protux. Is this possible?
>
> So finally I would suggest to leave this (VU meter) as a user option!?!
> And if a user want to have this feature then he just have to enable this in
> global properties. RFC
Thats probably the best thing. I'm trying to make the BusMonitor a floating/
dockable window now, but you have to wait, its not working as I expected  :-(

Remon