pspp-dev

Re: Website is updated

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Website is updated
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:55:51 +0800

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:52:34AM +0100, P.C.J.G. Brunier wrote:
     Hi Ben, John and the others,

     Everything is updated on the PSPP pages. Take a look. Including the
     manual. Compiling the sources did the trick indeed. texi2html worked
     fine from that moment.
     I've decided to go for a more GNU standard approach. Using the
     gendocs.sh script gives everybody the possibility to download the manual
     the way they like.
     Hopefully you agree with that.

I agree with that.

     Other wishes from John and thoughts from me:
     *Contributor page:
     Are the projectmembers on Savannah all the main contributors? Do you
     have a list and description of the old ones?

See the AUTHORS file in the top level source directory.

     *Getting started guide:
     Nice idea....I've started PSPP today...I definitly need a getting
     started guide. Can somebody write one?

Good quality tutorial documents are hard to write.  I've seen plenty
of awful ones.  And if we're going to endorse one, I think it needs to
be a good one.  Until somebody with the appropriate qualifications
steps forward, I wonder if it would be a good idea to set up a
unofficial 'users forum' (like on a wiki or something) well away from
the gnu.org domain.

     *List of (un)supported commands/features:
     Nice idea....Can somebody write them down or give me a hint howto obtain
     them?

The supported ones are listed in Chapters 7-14 of the user manual.

The unsupported ones are listed in the 'Not Implemented' chapter of the
user manual. Or if you look in src/command.def you can get a list of
all of them supported or otherwise.But these are woefully out of date.
I'll try and update it this week if I have the time.

     *Examples. Showing all the wonderful things PSPP can do.
     Nice idea....Can somebody write something down?

Maybe.  I think examples without tutorials are of little use ; See my
comments above.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3