qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] W2K minor and not so minor hurdles

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] W2K minor and not so minor hurdles
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 22:27:16 +0200

Dear list,

Thank to your help, I have been able to attack the creation of a Win2K disk.

It essentially works. But I met some booboos and I'm currently fighting some issues. Since I don't know what the booboos meant, They might well be the cause of my current problems.

Setup : I made a Win2K SP4 boot disk starting with a W2K non-bootable disk and the instructions pointed at in a recent message (http://www.bink.nu/bootcd, iirc ...).

I've made various attempts with qemu-cow disks varying from 1 to 4 GB in size and memory allocations varying from none (no -m option) to 512 Mb. The booboos and problems are fairly consistent and reproductible.

the first pass goes always OK : the disk is formatted (NTFS in all cases). The second pass starts well with a (lengthy) hardware detection phase, then a configuratioon phase (mostly national options for display, date/time, etc ...). Afterwards, the system tells me that the list of options to be installed is too long, and that I should modify this list. Whatever I'm doing (suppressing all possible options, for example), I end up with the need to install 21 Mb of options with 0 Mb available on the disk. So I abort the installation ("q" in the monitor).

Restarting the very same installation gives very curious results : the installer stards again, but the hardware detection phase seems much faster (sory, no hard data on this one, I didn't use a stopwatch ...) and the installation proceeds after the "national options" phase without further noise about a full disk. However, all is not rosy : during the "component installation", I have very consistently an error telling (backtranslated from French) :

The COM+ subcomponent has raised an exception during processing of the installatio program message.
OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION
.\csetuputil.cpp(line 3419)
Error code = 0x800703e6

Access to this memory address is invalid.
Library can't be loaded
C:\WINNT\system32\catsvr.dll

Before that, I may or may not get another error telling me "error loading catsvrutl.dll" : invalid memory access to this adress" (and no, no address is specified ...).

However, the installation proceeds and, lo, after another reboot, I get a (more or less, see below) functional W2K installation.

A booboo : I haven't yet be able to use an "-fda" floppy or floppy image. W2K tells me that the driver doesn't start, and no attempt has been able to revive it (deinstalling-reinstalling, booting all passes with a -fda option). Mistery ...

Another booboo is the video driver. Although the VBE drive is said to be able to go up to 1280x1024x32, I haven't be able to get more than 800x600x4 (16 colors). I tried the BXVGA driver installer pointed at by some previous posts : this driver has two variant : the plain "BXVGA" version gave me black lines superimposed on the screen for about 2/3 to half its width, the second crashes the installation immediately after boot. Scratch one disk ...

More serious is the fact that I've been unable to install MS Office or mozilla. the MS Office 97 fails immediately after start, telling it can't read an ".sft" file (the very same disk installs perfectly on a native W2K installation ...). The mozilla installation fails after 3/4 of the installation, telling me that an error log is prepared (I've never been able to find it ...).

Any ideas ?

                                        Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : As usual, please Cc' me your answers, since I'm not on the list (reading it through the archives).