qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:23:43 -0400

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 05:12:09PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> On Mon July 12 2004 4:56 pm, Mario Cazorzi wrote:
> > I have just installed Windows98 on my Linux machine (Suse 9.1 64bit, sata
> > HD). Qemu works really very, very good.
> > The only thing I missed is the possibility to exchange data between the two
> > OS. (I mean cut and paste).
> > Probably at the moment the only possibility is to make a fat32 partition so
> > I can see it from Linux and from Windows too.
> > Is that the only solution (if I can spare so a partition I will be very
> > happy).
> Actually you can't mount a partition in Qemu that's not buried inside
> your .img file. At least no way I found yet.
> You can use lomount to mount your .img partitions in Linux, this requires
> root
> access tho.
> http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu/utilities/QEMU-HD-Mounter/
>
> Btw, thanks dad for the very useful site. :)
>
> -jm

This isn't safe though. It might work, but you run the risk of corrupting the
partition in question (e.g. Linux updates the spare partition at the same time
windows 98 writes its own data on it ... boom). Same problem if you could use
a real partition ... which you can't, unless you want to share an entire disk.

You're better off using Samba or FTP.