qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:31:34 -0400

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:14:50PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> > They should only get this library if they don't already have a copy
> > installed.
>
> Which will be practically every qemu user.

[ Technically not true. Most qemu users are Linux users, and most Linux users
have GTK. :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. ]

All your other arguments about GTK basicly break down to this. If only qemu
wants GTK, then your arguments make sense. However, if there are a lot of users
which use other GTK applications besides qemu, then your arguments do not apply.

A standard Joe Schmoe Windows user probably would not know what GTK is or ever
even hear the name mentioned. That user would have little if any FOSS software
and may not even be aware about FOSS in general. I won't argue about using
xchat, gaim, evolution, etc for this user. The person probably bought
all the applications that this person would ever use. This person is also
unlikely to need to run multiple OSes at once, and even if this person did,
the product used would probably be VMware or Virtual PC or some other commercial
product. Certainly not qemu, which AFAIK lacks corporate backing or commercial
support (unlike Linux which has dozens of companies funding development and
offering support). I am not saying that this can't change. I'm also not arguing
against trying to change this. I'm just saying that GTK vs no-GTK doesn't make
a difference here for qemu.

A Windows user who does use qemu will probably be very familar with OSS
software.
That user may scoff at high priced programs and get software that is just as
good
for free. That user may run Evolution instead of Outlook, gaim instead of AIM
Messenger, etc. That user will probably have GTK installed.

I realise that these two examples represent extremes of a continum, and that
more
users better fit the first example. However, GTK is more well known than qemu
is, and one of GTK 2's goals is to be portable and easy to use on Windows.

> By bundling the libraries with qemu, and keeping them in the qemu directory,
> you can guarantee that the user has versions that work right and are
> compatible with qemu.  No -mms-whatever struct issue or anything else.

No, that will always be an issue. But my latest patch fixed it, so qemu windows
users at least shouldn't see it anymore.

> > There is no GUI yet. I could easily make a crappy one in, say, 20 minutes.
> > It'd work fine, but it may not be a lot of fun to use. For that matter, it
> > may not be that useful.
>
> Well, maybe not 'gui', but something that tells the user they are indeed
> running the GTK version and not the SDL version.

You're right, thats probably a good idea. On linux, you get some GTK warnings
in the console - so its pretty clear if you are using GTK or not. That's my
excuse. ;D How would you like me to fix this? Alter the title of the window
so it says "Qemu GTK" ? Show that GTK is on in the monitor interface, maybe
an "info gtk" that returns if gtk is on or not and what version is being used?