qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] using mmap?

From: Mark Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] using mmap?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:32:06 +0000

> I'm also doubtful how much benefit it gave in practice. I'm sure it would
> be good for synthetic CPU benchmarks. However using mmap significantly
> increases the overhead of context switches/tlb misses.
>
> To get good overall performance I suspect you're going to need closer
> cooperation with the kernel than mmap gives you. If you really want to make
> cross-emulation go fast I suggest working with the xen and/or kvm people to
> integrate qemu dynamic translation into those products. In theory I'd guess
> you should be able to plug it in as an alternative to the HVM code. I've no
> idea how close that is to being practical.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM/V2E

The v2e stuff allows execution state to be extracted from the real CPU,
plugged into QEmu for a bit for emulation, then transferred back to the real
CPU again.  This is initially to be used for supporting Big Real Mode
emulation on HVM platforms.  Later on it's planned to be used to accelerate
IO emulation further.

Eventually this may provide a means to use QEmu's translator to execute kernel
code whilst running user mode code under Xen.  It may be that this isn't as
fast as other approaches, but it'd be a useful feature for Xen to have IMO.

Cheers,
Mark