qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:07:01 +0100

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 05:51:37AM +0100, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Hi Stuart!
>
> Nice to read you!

And you, Natalia! :-)

> El 01/10/2009, a las 21:50, Stuart Brady escribió:
>
> >z80-softmmu now has MSX1 emulation, with thanks to Juha Riihimäki,
> >and I've also added the beginnings of ZX Spectrum 128K and SAM Coupé
> >emulation.  It still needs quite a few cleanups, though.

> Great great!!!
> If you need any software for testing them just email me.

I've no real problems getting hold of SAM and Spectrum software, but I
expect there are still bugs in the Z80 emulation... certainly, support
for the Z80's undocumented flags would be useful!

> Could you please email me the public domain ROMs?
> I've lost them

The ZX Spectrum ROMs are available here:

   http://www.shadowmagic.org.uk/spectrum/roms.html

For 48K emulation, you'll likely want 48.rom, renamed to zx-rom.bin...
For 128K emulation, you'd need to join 128-0.rom and 128-1.rom together,
and named zx128-rom.bin.

The SAM Coupe ROM is available here:

   ftp://ftp.nvg.ntnu.no/pub/sam-coupe/emulation/ROMs/samroms.zip

I'd recommend using ROM30 (renaming it to sam-rom.bin).

(Note to all: these are not truly 'free software', but their owners have
given permission for them to be used for emulation.  The MSX ROMs are a
different matter, though.)

The Z80 target is available at:

   http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/z80.git

BTW, one thing that looks interesting is TAKEDA Toshiya's PC-98
emulation.  If support for the NEC v20's 8080 mode (!) would be useful,
then perhaps parts of the Z80 target might serve as a starting point...

> >Same also for Laurent Vivier's m68k patches -- I would certainly have a
> >go at implementing Atari ST emulation, and would also be interested in
> >helping with Amiga, 68K Mac and perhaps even NeXT, SUN3, etc.

> If operating systems or real systems are need for that I have almost all.
> Atari ST512FM, ST1024, Amiga 500, a pletory of Macs.
> And of course, Atari TOS, Amiga Kickstart, OS and Workbench, Mac OS,
> A/UX, NeXTStep and OpenStep, and SunOS/sun3.

Those would certainly be useful for testing!  For the time being,
Laurent's plan to boot linux-m68k sounds like a good approach.

> >For the OS support list, I'd perhaps suggest something similar to the
> >Wine AppDB [...]
> >If it's of any use: http://source.winehq.org/git/appdb.git/

> A GREAT idea I'll check on it.

Thanks!  I'm eager to hear what conclusion you come to. :-)

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady