qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] sniffing traffic between VMs

From: Alexander Binun
Subject: [Qemu-devel] sniffing traffic between VMs
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:47:46 +0300 (IDT)

Hello Friends,
  My name is Alex Binun and I am a researcher in the group of Prof. Shlomi
Dolev, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel,
http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~dolev/. The group investigates security in
virtualization environments and implements a prototype on the top of KVM.
Searching for relevant stuff we (the group) ran into the page of Stefan , see
his latest  blog entry
http://blog.vmsplice.net/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=5,
 and got your email.

Our first task is to trace the traffic between individual VMs and between VMs
and the VMM (the KVM driver). So we are searching for proper places to insert
"sniffer code". We suspect that some functions in qemu/hw/virtio should be
targeted. And we will appreciate any hints on this places.

 Taking into account the efforts towards the standardization of virtual
input/output mentioned by Stefan in his latest blog entry, the places for
inserting traffic sniffers can be easily found.

Great thanks in advance,
   Mark, Martin and Alex