Re: [Quilt-dev] Fw: patch script

From: Holger Schurig
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Fw: patch script
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:05:37 +0100

> Hi Holger,
>
> we have been working heavily on Andrew's original scripts in the
> meantime. As of now we have a project web pahe and CVS at
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt/. It's still mostly shell
> scripts, but packaged differently.
>
> The documentation on quilt is pretty weak at the moment, but the most
> important features and some tiny additional bits are working quite
> well. See the quilt-dev mailing list for my posting concerning new
> features from yesterday.
>
> Do you have a link to your code? Does it implement any new
> features/concepts?

No, it has even less features that the old scripts from Andrew had. Right now
there is no good support for the *.txt files. I also miss the export feature
that added 01 .. 02 .. in front of the patches. However, both of this is
quite easy to add.

I used Andrew's scripts for a short while and then I tried to understand them.
Some of them were documented, some not. I found them not very cleanly
organised, but maybe I did not look into them long enought. But mostly I did
not like that it came as roundabout 30 scripts. So I re-wrote it in perl.

I use it quite often to create patches for projects or to maintain my
kernel-tree for an embedded hardware. Patcher is also part of the
www.openzaurus.org project, it's there in the bk tree. However, it might be
easier to download from

   http://www.mn-logistik.de/unsupported/patcher

Just look into it or do "perldoc patcher".

> I don't have anything against Perl, it might allow us to move forward
> faster. On the other hand I do like the modular structure we have now.
> In any case the scripts seem to work well enough for me at the moment.

I'm not saying that they didn't work well.

A modular structure in a programming language (might it be shell or perl or
whatever) does not imply lot's of scripts. It might mean shell functions or,
in my case, perl-functions. By the way: I used mostly plain-old-perl, not the
object features in perl or some very-unreadable-constructs.

Coming as one file makes installation way easier. Just copy ONE thing into
your /usr/local/bin and you're done. This might add to the general
acceptance..