Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 5/8]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 5/8]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:08:28 +0100

Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 02:36, John Vandenberg wrote:

As a way to simplify the problem of endless @ signs in the quilt code,
I would like to propose we add a compat subdirectory to include any
workaround for specific platforms (e.g getopt.in tac.in, etc...), and
only install the ones that are necessary for each platform. This
directory would then be prefixed to the PATH in patchfns.in.  In the
specific cases in this patch, the directory compat would contain sym
links to the appropriate GNU version of cp.

This sounds like a really good plan to me. We could even get some of the @ macros out of existing code.

It's an excellent interrim idea.  Long term, I'd like to try and remove
the dependency on coreutils altogether... depending on bash is fine,
perl not so bad, coreutils bearable, but GNU sed, GNU awk, GNU getopt
(and any others that may creep in) is unnecessary.  The larger the
dependency stack, the harder it is to install on non-Linux.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}