Re: [Quilt-dev] Permanent target in Makefile

From: John Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Permanent target in Makefile
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:53:58 +1000

On 9/20/05, Jean Delvare <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > > This looks good, but I would like to get rid of the
> > > install-compat-symlink rules.
> > >
> > > Could you drop hunks @@ -40,14 +40,6 @@ and @@ -308,7 +305,15 @@ ? and
> > > I will email a patch based on top of this shortly.
>
> This additional patch triggers the following error message twice during
> build:
>
> /users/jdelvare/local/share/quilt/compat: No such file or directory
>
> /users/jdelvare/local is what I set --prefix to. The messages shows once
> before any target is built, and another time between doc/README and
> doc/quilt.1. If this makes a difference, I have never been able to fully
> build and install quilt on this system yet (although we're slowly
> getting there) so this is a first install.
>
> Can this be fixed?

Yes.  This is an updated version of compat-cleanup-2.diff, fixing that error.

So far, I have noticed a few other issues.

--without-getopt causes the build to fail.

compat-without.diff solves this.

SuSE 7.2 (using trunk quilt):

README.in -> README
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `for program in ; do  test -x $program || chmod
+x $program;  done'

The current patches Andreas and I have in this thread fix this problem.

Solaris 2.8 sh:

/bin/sh:
PATH=/export/home/all/johnv/workpits/quilt-compat/compat:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.7.4/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin/:/home/johnv/bin:/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/etc:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/acu:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/local/teas:
is not an identifier
make[1]: *** [reference] Error 1

This one has me scratching my head at the moment.  While it would be
great to know why, I am instead investigating supporting running quilt
directly from the quilt workarea:

/path/to/workpit/quilt/$cmd

This is essentially what the rules `reference' and `quilt.1' do, but
in a very limited fashion.

Im sure we will run into more issues, so these patches are not really
for submission at this stage.
--
John