Re: [Quilt-dev] Permanent target in Makefile

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Permanent target in Makefile
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:44:44 +0200

Hi John,

> cp: cannot stat `fn:p:h': No such file or directory
> Failed to import patch fn:p:h

This is typical of a non-working getopt when trying to build the
documentation file from quilt commands' -h output.

> compat-cleanup-1.diff
>    Andreas patch sans two blocks
>
> compat-cleanup-2.diff
>    merges the install rules into one

I'll let Andreas deal with these.

> compat-without.diff
>    permit --without, and complain on invalid use of --with

Looks promising, I'm willing to commit this. Two comments though:

1* Is it possible to also complain of the use of non-existent
--with-foo options? I've been frustrated a number of times by typos in
these options already.

2* Could you make it so that the use of --without-foo doesn't cause a
WARNING? The user asked for it, there is no reason to warn about
anything.

> local-quilt.diff
>    build doc's with "QUILT_DIR=. ./bin/quilt $cmd -h "
>
> The last patch replaces @SCRIPTS@ with $QUILT_DIR/scripts in order to
> reduce the number of substitutions to be carried around; is that
> acceptable, or do some platforms install scripts in a different
> directory ?

I'll let Andreas decide.

Thanks,