Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:00:19 +0100

Le mardi 24 novembre 2009 02:00, Yasushi SHOJI a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> it seems a classic case.

> > > It would be nice to loose less speed but from the point of view
> > > of a distribution maker, having it as a shell script simplifies
> > > the bootstrapping of a new port:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=363659
> >
> > So, writing quilt in C would actually solve your problems :)
> >
> > Hm, if I ever get bored, that might be an interesting exercise...

I was thinking the same... Without that, we will be discussing
performance issues without a reference point. But the problem is, I
am not bored. At all.

> we all know that having generic implementation is good thing.  Linux
> does have that, too.  and having generics, in particular, helped me to
> port Linux to new arch.
>
> but slowing quilt down just for that is not acceptable, IMNSHO.
>
> And, why don't we just do compile time check and install shell version
> of backup-files if we do not support _that_ arch? does debian have to
> have the shell version in all arch?

That's one possibility, but it has drawbacks: we must maintain two
versions of backup-files, we have to keep them fully compatible
(which may prevent us from doing clean-ups that would speed up the
shell counterpart), and we still have the bloated configure script.
And the test suite would only test one variant at a time.

So it doesn't sound terribly appealing to me. But I can be convinced,
especially if the Debian folks say it would make their life much
easier.

Suse L3