Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:00:33 +0900

Hi all,

it seems a classic case.

At Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:41:44 -0800,
Greg KH wrote:

> > > I haven't looked at the details of what you are suggesting, but
> > > any change that slows 'quilt pop' down by a factor of 3 is not
> > > acceptable (to me).
> >
> > It would be nice to loose less speed but from the point of view
> > of a distribution maker, having it as a shell script simplifies
> > the bootstrapping of a new port:
>
> So, writing quilt in C would actually solve your problems :)
>
> Hm, if I ever get bored, that might be an interesting exercise...

we all know that having generic implementation is good thing.  Linux
does have that, too.  and having generics, in particular, helped me to
port Linux to new arch.

but slowing quilt down just for that is not acceptable, IMNSHO.

And, why don't we just do compile time check and install shell version
of backup-files if we do not support _that_ arch? does debian have to
have the shell version in all arch?

just my two cents.
--
            yashi