Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)

From: Raphael Hertzog
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:56:05 +0100

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:00:33AM +0900, Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
> > And, why don't we just do compile time check and install shell version
> > of backup-files if we do not support _that_ arch? does debian have to
> > have the shell version in all arch?
>
> I don't understand the main problem here.  quilt relies on other
> programs that have to run already that are written in C (bash, patch,
> etc.)  So why would an arch not be able to build backup-files as well?

Building the C file is not the problem. The manual bootstrap is the
problem because we build packages and not individual C files.

quilt as a source package build-depends on the following binary packages:
Build-Depends: cdbs, debhelper (>= 5)
Build-Depends-Indep: gettext, hevea, lynx, diffstat, perl, procmail

On the other hand, important packages like glibc or linux-2.6 have quilt
in their build dependencies because they use it to manage the changes we
apply on top of the upstream version.

By making it arch: all, no bootstrap is required, the package is immediately
available. Otherwise in theory, either you get all those build-dependencies
available or you hack the build-process to drop the parts that require all
those components that are not yet available.

BTW, I would be fine if both version were available and if people could
decide with a configure switch which version they want.

Cheers,
--
Raphaƫl Hertzog