[RP] Re: resize patch

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Mon Aug 12 18:22:02 2002

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> The prefix argument could be useful. But apart from these resizing
> commands is there anything they'd be used for? I am thinking that an
> interactive frame resize would be a better way to go. Then you can use
> <insert your favorite movement keystrokes> to resize the frame to the
> desired size.

Yeah, I did that and it's a lot nicer.  There is now only one command
imaginatively named "resize".  When called interactively, you can now
use C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p to resize the frame in all directions, and
C-g to get out of "resize mode".

I stole the cursor-movement keys from Emacs as default.  They can be
changed them in conf.h.

BTW, there really ought to be an easier way to change those keybindings
(and the input bindings).

> And then for command-line operation, the command could take a numeric
> argument or a +N -N style argument so the frame could be effectively
> resized in scripts.

Ok, from a script or the command-line you can do stuff like

$ ratpoison -c "resize vertical 4"
$ ratpoison -c "resize horizontal -2"

To grow the current frame vertically by 4 resize units or shrink it
horizontally it by 2.  Another way would be to have separate "vresize"
and "hresize" commands, but I think it's a bit nicer this way.

There is also a new "defresizeunit" command used for setting the number
of pixels one step resizes.  I found that is is really hard to choose a
default that fits all possible screen resolutions.  It would be
possible to just resize a pixel at a time, but that makes interactive
use annoyingly slow.

Booting... /vmemacs.el