[RP] Re: resize patch

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Wed Aug 21 06:50:07 2002

[ CCed to ratpoison-devel ]

Henrik Enberg wrote:

> Emilio Lopes <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think this is a reasonable behaviour: when asked to resize a window,
>> Ratpoison uses the resize hint of the current window. Other windows,
>> which may be influenced be the resize operation, are made as large as
>> possible, just as you stated above.

> This would require a rewrite of the split commands to make any sense.
> They just split the frame in two without use of the resize_inc hints,

I didn't look at the code, but it seems that e.g. xterms don't take
any arbitrary height anyway, just multiples of the font height. That's
already so *right now*. Open an xterm with a very large font and
you'll see that there will be a gap around it.

> so if we'd resize using the hints there would still be a gap between
> the window edge and the frame edge.

Yes, but I think this is OK. One can not do any better! As you state
bellow:

> There really isn't any way to get rid of small gaps between windows,
> becuse they will hardly ever be a case where sizes and screen
> resolution is is evenly divisible.

I would say, go ahead and implement the resizing commands using the
resize_inc hints. As I said above, apps like Emacs and Xterm don't
take any arbitrary size anyway. In any case, if the user define a
resize unit or for windows which don't supplies a resize_inc hint, the
resizing commands could try to use it instead.