[RP] resize patch

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: [RP] resize patch
Date: Tue Aug 13 06:12:03 2002

Henrik Enberg wrote:

> Ok, from a script or the command-line you can do stuff like
>
> $ ratpoison -c "resize vertical 4"
> $ ratpoison -c "resize horizontal -2"
>
> To grow the current frame vertically by 4 resize units or shrink it
> horizontally it by 2.  Another way would be to have separate "vresize"
> and "hresize" commands, but I think it's a bit nicer this way.

I agree that it's nicer this way. I asked myself sometime ago if the
`defxxx' commands shouldn't be changed accordingly. Like

def font 7x13bold         instead of    deffont 7x13bold
def fgcolor blue          instead of    deffgcolor blue
def maxsizegravity center instead of    defmaxsizegravity center

etc.

> There is also a new "defresizeunit" command used for setting the number
> of pixels one step resizes.  I found that is is really hard to choose a
> default that fits all possible screen resolutions.  It would be
> possible to just resize a pixel at a time, but that makes interactive
> use annoyingly slow.

I'm not an X programmer (or even a real C-programmer!), so I must ask:
how difficult it is to resize text based apps (xterms e.g.) by lines,
like other WMs do?

Also: would it be hard to check for a "%"-sign after the argument of
"defresizeunit" and act accordingly?

Regards and thanks for the patch!

 Emilio