[RP] Re: resize patch

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Fri Aug 16 05:30:02 2002

Henrik Enberg wrote:

> Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

> > I would modify your suggestion to: if the resize-unit is set with
> > defresizeunit, then use it, otherwise use the resize-unit property set
> > on the window itself.

> But what windows resize_inc hints should it use?

I would suggest the one of the current window.

> We have to resize every window ratpoison manages everytime a resize
> is done.

Not every window. In most cases I would say 2 or 3. It's not (much)
more than in case of splitting or removing a frame.

In another mail Henrik Enberg wrote:

> Emilio Lopes <address@hidden> writes:

> > When you split a window contanining an xterm you are indeed resizing
> > this xterm. Apparently one can't resize xterms to some arbitrary size,
> > only to multiples of the font size. If you open two xterms with huge
> > fonts and split the display you'll note a gap between the windows
> > because of this `property'. So it seems to me that Ratpoison already
> > does the right thing in such cases. But maybe I'm missing something
> > here...

> It continues to do the right thing.  The resize command resizes the
> frames and then makes the windows as big as possible within the bounds
> of the frame.  It always obeys the windows resize_inc hints.

I think this is a reasonable behaviour: when asked to resize a window,
Ratpoison uses the resize hint of the current window. Other windows,
which may be influenced be the resize operation, are made as large as
possible, just as you stated above.

Regards,

 Emilio