Re: [RP] neat trick

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [RP] neat trick
Date: Mon Apr 28 09:53:04 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:18:15AM -0400, Caleb Shay wrote:
Yes, it is a hack, but until somebody comes up with a real solution it
is a simple to implement workaround.  If you are working with the
xfree86 people on a solution, it is going to be YEARS before we actually
see one.

I am in the processing of starting an alternate branch of xfree86 right now.
Wanna get in on the action?  Keep it hush-hush.  We're probably a week
away from making a formal announcement.

I think the solution is to do something at the Xlib level, so that you
could set an environment variable, and it would pass it on to the X
server as an atom attached to each window created.  Then you just query
the property for each window, and it will give you the "identifier" you
set.  Then we would need a way to tell ratpoison "THIS identifier goes
in THIS frame/screen/whatever".

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2