Re: [RP] Not the same thread.

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: Re: [RP] Not the same thread.
Date: Fri Dec 19 04:43:01 2003

From: "twb" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 5:27 AM
> Quoth address@hidden on or about Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:00:19 -0800:
> > I just thot I'd ask: is the overhead of forking...even noticeable??
> Yes, when system is under full load (e.g. during backup). -twb

This has nothing to do with 'fork' per se, but rather all system calls.
System calls on most OSes are handled via interrupts, which can get stacked
up under heavy load.  Since the 'fork' call happens so much in *nix, it has
been heavily optimized over the decades and it's _very_ fast, but only when
the kernel gets around to executing it.
Joshua